Wednesday, September 3, 2008

We Dodged Another Bullet

It looks like Hanna is going to hit much further up the coast, and again Savannah has dodged the bullet. I feel bad for the people in her path, but greatly releaved that we can sit this one out! Some day, our luck will run out, but I swear to God, I hope and pray that when that day arrives, John & I will no longer be living here!



Which brings me to another subject. John & I are starting to think about our retirement years, and where we are going to go when the time comes.
He desires the snow, you know, that whole snowboard thing.
I want nature. Flora and fauna. Wild animals, things to take pretty pictures of.
We were thinking close enough to the mountains, but not winter 10 months out of the year. I would like somewhere close enough to go to the beach, or the mountains, without driving for 2 days! Maybe the mountains of North Carolina or West Virginia? The rolling hills of Virginia or middle Pennsylvania? Is Maine too cold for my "southern" blood? How about the pure beauty of Wyoming? Montana? Utah? Alaska?
So many decisions! Any advice? Suggestions? We're open to hear it all. :-)

2 comments:

Deborah said...

I think we'll be in Savannah forever, but who knows for sure..I never thought I'd be living here and I am :)

My grandparents had a place to stay in the summer in the mountains and a home in Atlanta for the winter and sometimes would stay a few weeks in Florida duirng the winter time too. They were big into Camping. I would love to do that someday with Trey and visit all over the USA in a camper...sounds fun to me :)

But..now that I've been to Europe I want to go back again sometime in my life! It was so much fun :)

Sharon said...

I say Colorado..
I am a friend of Deborah's up here
in Atlanta. (I worked with her
Dad for many many years!)

My brother lives out there....you get the pretty snow in the winter
and the hot sun in the summmer.(Denver)
My brother lives up in Evergreen..it could snow in the early part of summer. It stays about 10 degrees cooler than Denver.... But the best part NO HUMIDITY!!!
It is a photographers heaven. The wild animals you can see...he has had a bob cat on his front porch...Elk that dine on his back yard...the elk are protected....mule dear that wander through... Birds of all kinds flowers of all kinds.......you name
it. The Aspen trees..breath taking
in the fall. The mountains!!! I would move in a heartbeat but my Mom is still here and my daughter. MY duaghter would would probably come out but to cold for Mom! Take a trip out there if you've never been.
We go in July.....
Sharon Brown--