Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Keeping An Eye On Hanna

This map looks better than the one I saw last night, but I still don't like the looks of it!

Hanna is going to be a huge threat to our area Friday afternoon. Some projected models last night showed Hanna hitting way too close to our area! This morning, they are projecting a more norther-eastern hit. That's fine by me! We'll still see lots of wind and rain, but that's far better than a direct hit!
My issue is I have to be at work Friday, while Hanna makes her presence known.
For those of you who don't know, the hospital that I work at is definately not hurricane proof! Our generators are outside! We loose power with the simplest of thunderstorms! If we receive any significant rainfall, the basement floods, and water pours down the inner stairwells! They moved the generators outside after continually loosing power after basement flooding during rain storms.
Every year we have to sign up for hurricane teams. The A team works during the storm, staying locked up inside of the hospital as long as it takes, until people can return when the evacuation is lifted. Team B (the team I am on), comes in when allowed back home, and works until things get back to normal. Every year I tell my boss I want to be on team C. The C you later, my butt is out of here team! LOL! In my honest opinion, if a storm the magnitude of Katrina hit Savannah, there would be no St. Joseph's hospital to return to!
So, I will be keeping a smart eye on the sky. As it stands, I work Friday. But, if the storm builds, and they call for a mandatory evacuation of Savannah, then I am off the hook, and don't have to work Friday. But, I would go in as soon as they allow us back.
Let's just cross our fingers, say our prayers, and hope it doesn't come to that!

1 comment:

Deborah said...

My husband Trey may have to stay during certain storms because it's on the team to get Sav'h up and going again. My Mom works at a Hospital in SC and so she is on the team to have to stay too I think :(

I really hope the storm turns and we just get wind/rain.