Saturday, October 4, 2008

Something New

Well, it seems like I have been doing a lot of "new" stuff lately. Last Saturday I shot a gun for the first time, and today was no different. In honor of trying something new, I went kayaking.



By the way, that's me in the blue boat. The life vest makes me look HUGE! Bleck!
It was a peaceful, very relaxing day. Should I call it "relaxing" actually? There was a LOT of paddling going on, a lot of maintaining my balance, so as not to fall into the water, so I don't think "relaxing" is an appropriate word. It was a great chance to get back to nature, and admire the inter coastal waterways of South Carolina.

Don't worry, I didn't paddle from Savannah clear to South Carolina! LOL! I started up there. I have a former patient who owns a kayaking business in Hardeeville SC. She spoke so highly of the fun of kayaking, that I had to try it out for myself. John stayed behind. I think he was determined that I was going to fall into the water, and he didn't want me to embarrass him! For the record, I did NOT fall in! So there! :-P

It was a lot of fun. I felt like the odd guy out though, being there basically by myself. It would have been a lot more fun with people I knew. And, everyone knows me, I lag behind to take pictures, then I felt like I was holding the group back, and I had to paddle really hard to catch back up with them! Guess we'll just have to buy our own kayaks, and go out whenever we want to

Here are some of the pictures.

Yes, we were swimming with the dolphins! They were very close to us, and extremely difficult to photograph! I wish I had taken the Canon Rebel with me. The new camera is great, and compact, but it's slow to respond compared to the big gun! I did capture a couple of dorsal fins. Not bad for the first time out. Maybe next time they will cooperate with me better!

And the pelicans were out in abundance! I love pelicans. Their bill holds more than their belly can! LOL! Sorry, I think of that verse every time I see them! I love to watch them soar into the ocean to catch a fish. I am amazed that they don't break their necks when they dive!

So, here are my kayak pictures.
Now, I need advice of what I can try that's new next week! Any ideas?









That's me, trying to get out of the marsh grass




Dig my pink shoes man! And they are camo! Hubby loves camo!










1 comment:

Deborah said...

I love the pictures of the pelicans!! Looks like you had a great time!

I have never taken a ride on the Riverboat down at River Street..that would be fun to do one weekend!