Sunday, February 24, 2008

Greeting From Stowe Vermont!


We arrived in Stowe late Friday night. We drove right through that winter storm that struck New England! Traffic CRAWLED along the interstate! No kidding. We did 30-45 mph the entire trip (second day on the road)! There were at least 20 accidents, 99% of them in the state of Connecticut. One was pretty nasty. A tractor trailer jack-knifed in the southbound lane. His cab was on the side of the road, and his trailer was blocking the entire highway. Traffic was backed up. There was one car wedged in up behind his cab, and one up under the backend of his trailer! If any of the passengers of those 2 cars survived, it will be a miracle! And immediately behind that accident was one fender bender on top of another! I guess everyone followed way too closely, and when traffic stopped, they just kept running into each other! SO happy we were traveling north!
Stowe got NONE of that Friday snowfall! Zip, zilch, nadda. They have snow, but nothing new. And what is left has a layer of ice on top. I hope for John's sake that conditions on the mountain are better than in town.
Today john tried something new and exciting. I was searching the internet one evening for fun things to do in Stowe. When I found ice climbing. They climb up frozen waterfalls like you'd rock climb! I wanted to go along to be his photographer, but I can barely breathe in this thin air. I knew if we had to hike any great distance, I would just slow them down. So, I stayed in town while he went on his big adventure. He said he ended up climbing 85 feet up this frozen waterfall! Cool, huh?
And of course I have the picture to prove it! :-)
click on photo to see larger picture

I hope everyone is staying warm. We got to about 35 degrees today. But it sure does get cold at night! This morning was -1 when John got up! Doesn't that just make you shiver?! Sure does me! Good weather for hot cocoa, hot fires, and sitting in the room with the computer. Wink.
More of our Stowe adventures as they happen.
Penny & John
P.S. We sure do miss you Jingle Bells! :(

No comments: