Monday, August 6, 2007

Who Knew It Would Be So Hard?!

Well, a lot of you know that John's nephew Matthew lived with us for 2 years. 2 weeks ago he decided to move back in with his parents. Which of course is where he belongs. So, John told me that I can have the upstairs bedroom for my very own sewing/craft room! I was ecstatic. The decorating possibilities running thru my head. First thing I did was go shopping for furniture for my new room.

None of the furniture stores had anything I liked, so I turned to office furniture. I found everything I wanted in Staples. But, their stock is very limited, it's easier to go to their online store, and order it yourself.

The saga begins........ I ordered an L-shaped desk with hutch, and matching bookcase. The desk said in the description that it would come in 2 boxes. Delivery day comes. The delivery man talked to Judy early in the morning, to say he'd be here before 5. He came, but left the boxes outside of our garage, no knock on the door, no phone call, just deliver and dump! We had been having a LOT of rain, and here are boxes with furniture made of particle board, being left outside in the elements. 3 boxes. 3?! Hello,....where is box 1 of 2 of my desk?! When I clicked onto the desk, 2 appeared in my shopping cart. Well, I sure didn't want 2 desks, so I deleted one! MISTAKE! They didn't say "don't delete the extra desk, you need them both" Box 2 of 1 can't even stand on it's own, and there was no hardware in the box, so you can't even assemble it without the other desk! So, I called customer service, and they have to add the other order, and it will be shipped in 2 days. Delivery day comes, and the delivery guy called saying he couldn't get the desk to us until the next day. So.....we wait.

Actual delivery day comes, it's pouring down rain outside, and delivery guy tries to leave a 150 pound box outside of the garage doors, exposed to all of this rain! I yelled down to him to PLEASE bring it to the front porch, don't leave it in the rain. Now is when I catch some severe attitude from the man who is obviously over-worked. Grudgingly, he does bring it to the porch, but I can't bring it in, so it's going to have to wait for John to come home before we can inspect it.

Sure enough, a corner of the box had been crushed, and re-taped! We open the box, and find the corners of all pieces crushed! Here goes another call to customer service. They apologize like crazy, and promise to have the desk delivered on Monday.

It's 7:47pm Monday evening, and no desk! I called customer service at 5, and was told basically they do not know what went wrong. The desk left the warehouse, in route to our address, and I'd have to be a little more patient. They couldn't do anything else until the desk absolutely did not arrive here. I just got off the phone with customer service AGAIN, and they tell me "we can't do anything about it now, it's after 5." HELLO?! That's why I called at 5, and was told I had to wait!

So......it's been 8 days since I placed an order for basically 3 items which were promised to be here in 2 days! I am so fed up with Staples, I will NEVER step foot in their stores AGAIN! I just needed to vent. I know it won't get read, but I feel better for getting it off of my chest (I think)

On a bright note, John got the bookcase and hutch assembled, and they look great! He's also got shelves in my closet, and everything is ready to go where it belongs.

I promise to post some pictures IF I ever get a desk to put up under this hutch that is currently sitting upside down on our loft!

I think I need a stiff drink!

No comments: