Friday, August 22, 2008

Cha-Cha-Cha-Changes

It's amazing how Mother Nature works! At the beginning of the summer, I planted hydrangeas in front of the house. Pretty blue hydrangeas. I picked them because they were different. The color popped against the house. They made a nice contrast with the other plants that we have.
Well, that was in June. Here is my beautiful hydrangea in June.


I planted 8 of them.
And here they are now.


Notice anything different?! Mysteriously they are now all PINK! Which is fine by me, I love pink. But, I intended for them to stay blue! Now I'm gonna have to play with Mother Nature, and see if I can make them turn back to blue again.
Wish me luck!

Saturday I tried out another new recipe on John. He was working so hard in the other house, and I wanted to make him something special for lunch. I found these sandwiches online, and wanted to try them for my baby. Not bad if I do say so myself. Ask John what he "REALLY" thought of them. I wish the meat had been more tender. Stupid Walmart meat! I added mozzarella cheese to the top, because they just were not fattening enough!

Marlboro Man’s Favorite Sandwich
2 to 3 pounds cube steak (tenderized round steak that’s been extra-tenderized
1 large onion OR 2 small/medium onions
4 French/Deli rolls
Butter, man
Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
Worcestershire Sauce
Tabasco
-Slice onions and cook in 1/4 stick butter until soft and light brown. Remove and set aside.
-Slice cube steak against the grain. Season with Lawry’s.
-Heat 2 TBSP butter over high heat (in same skillet) until melted and beginning to brown.
-Add meat in single layer. Cook one side until brown, then flip and cook until brown, about a minute on both sides.
-Add 1/2 (at least) Worcestershire sauce, 5 to 6 shakes Tabasco, and 2 TBSP butter. Add cooked onions. Stir to combine.
-Butter halved French rolls and brown on skillet.
-To assemble, lay bottom half of French roll on plate. Place meat mixture, followed by a spoon full of juice from the pan. Top with other half of roll, cut in half, and devour!
And go get on the StairMaster. Now.
not MY photo, it belongs to the maker of the recipe!

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Hydrangeas are cool cause they can change colors! You can control the color better if you grow them in containers. They change color because of the soil ph.

It's much easier to change a hydrangea from pink to blue than it is from blue to pink!! Changing a hydrangea from pink to blue entails adding aluminum to the soil. Changing from blue to pink means subtracting aluminum from the soil or taking it out of reach of the hydrangea.

I use to work at a Botanical Garden and studied horticulture for about 2 years, but now I can't remember to even water my plants with having 2 kids :)