Friday, March 28, 2008

Happy Friday!



It was a BEAUTIFUL week in Savannah this week!
Monday I taught my pre-op total joint class, and that went well.
Tuesday I spent the majority of my birthday sitting thru boring meetings. But, they pay me for it, so I will stop complaining! Then John, Judy and I went out to eat. We went to one of my favorite seafood restaurants. As always, the food was yummy, and I ate way too much!
Wednesday was ME day. I slept in, and then did things that make me happy.
The first thing I did was take my camera to Bonaventure Cemetery. I know, cemeteries gross out a lot of people, but I love walking around them. Especially this graveyard. It has really cool statues, and lots of history. The azaleas were at peak bloom, and the cemetery is full of their bright pink blooms!
I had a revelation while walking thru the graveyard. John and I have talked about our final wishes, and what we want to do. I have always been a firm believer in burial, and having someplace standing, forever, marking my time on this planet. But, then I saw something Wednesday that changed all of that. I witnessed an old man, cleaning off the gravestone of his wife. And it tore my heart apart! This frail, old man, probably left here on earth alone, dealing with life's issues all by himself. He looked so alone. He kept his head held low as he swept dead leaves from his wife's headstone. Then replaced the faded silk flowers from a basket with new flowers. Then, he sat, and just stared at that marker. I stood watching him for what seemed like forever. I wondered what his circumstance was, how long ago since she left him, what he does with himself since she left. Slowly, he gathered his things, then got into an older model Buick, and slowly drove away. There stood her headstone, alone, like it was before he got there. The flowers exposed to the sun, they will fade again, just like the first batch. The dead leaves will gather on her grave, just like before. And until someone else comes to look at her headstone, she lays there, ..alone.
I don't want to put John thru that. I cannot imagine him tending my grave. Replacing the flowers, sweeping away dead leaves. Life goes on after death, but I can't imagine a life like that.
So, cremation seems the only logical decision. My ashes can be sprinkled somewhere lovely, or somewhere that I haven't been able to see while alive.
Ok, enough morbid talk.
After the graveyard, I went to the Savannah Wildlife Refuge, and watched the alligators. Not very many active gators, mostly little ones, swimming. I don't know where the BIG ones were, but I am sure they were there!



Today, John took me out to the country to learn to drive a "stick". It will come in handy when I get my birthday gift on April 27th! :-)
Tomorrow is back to work. BLECK! Anybody care to fill in for me? I secretly hope it rains, so that I am not wasting a beautiful weekend cooped up inside of the hospital!
I hope everyone out there has a wonderful weekend! Get out there, and enjoy spring. She'll be gone way too fast!

No comments: