Tuesday, April 28, 2009

My 15 Minutes Of Fame

Well.....more like 5 minutes. :-(

Sunday, my picture was in the local paper, and I didn't even know! We get the Sunday paper, and I looked at the whole thing, but I didn't see myself. Stupid paper carrier left it out of ours.

Then Monday I go to work, and the first thing I do is check my email. I have emails from co-workers saying "I saw you in the paper yesterday! Good for you"
What the....??
Then I have an email from a past patient of mine. She's going on and on about how good I looked in the ad, and how cool it was that they ran our pictures across from each other.
What the heck happened? I know nothing!

The hospital had a section in the paper all about our orthopedic unit! The picture shows me teaching one of our patients all about her total knee replacement. Some of you know that I have been teaching a pre-op class for our total joint patients. Those of you who didn't know, do now! LOL!

I knew the ad was going to be printed some day, we did the photo shoot a while back. I just forgot all about it, and nobody gave us the heads up.

So, here is the picture that appeared. I know the writing is tiny, so here is what it says:



What To Expect Before, During, and After Your Orthopedic Surgery

St. Joseph's/Candler performs hundreds of orthopedic surgeries a year, but yours is unique. Knowing what to expect can help you have a positive and successful outcome.

to reduce the risk of post surgical complications, and establish the safest and most optimal environment for healing possible, you will be pre-screened prior to surgery. This may occur in a separate pre-screening visit to St. Joesph's/Candler or on the day of surgery, depending on the nature of your procedure. Pre-screening involves a series of simple lab tests to check for blood abnormalities, urine abnormalities, diabetes and infection. In addition, a chest x-ray might be taken to check for pneumonia and an EKG might be performed to ensure your heart is working properly.

If you are one of the almost 900 patients a year who have joint replacement surgery at St. Joesph's/Candler, you will also attend a pre-operative education class during the visit. This class will give you all the tools necessary for a better understanding of your surgery and recovery, as well as tips on how to prepare your home for your return and other important things you need to know about the discharge process. This interactive class also allows you to view a sample implant and other equipment used for your care.

On the day of your surgery, the staff at St. Joseph's/Candler will see to it that your admission and surgery preparation go smoothly. Your surgery will be performed by one of the most highly trained orthopedic surgeons in the region, with the latest and most technologically advanced orthopedic care available anywhere in the Southeast. Finally, staff members will guide you through your post-surgery stage with the knowledge and confidence you need to achieve a full recovery.

No comments: